HELP FOR YOUR FAMILY
- For crisis and resource support information call 2-1-1 Kern County by dialing 2-1-1 on your phone or visit the 2-1-1 website.
- Locate a FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER in your own neighborhood. Family Resource Centers are the center hub of resource connections within neighborhoods and communities contact the Family Resource Center in your neighborhood for help with school readiness; connecting to health care; safety, and other social and education services.
- Emergency Room, Urgent Care or My Doctor? ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Local Transportation
- Calculator of Income and Fees
- Find Help Enrolling
- Pediatric dentistry information from NewMouth.com
- Right to Timely Care BILINGUAL
- Immigration Rights ENGLISH | SPANISH | Video | Cards ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Family Preparedness Plan ENGLISH | SPANISH | Webinar
Lead Poisoning Prevention
- Kern County Department of Public Health Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Fixing up your home (ENG & SP)
- Making your home lead safe for your child (ENG)
- Como protege a su nino y hogar contra el plomo (SP)
- Check for lead in and around your home (ENG & SP)
- Drowning Prevention
- The Story of Family Who Faced a Devastating Drowning
- 4 – Step Safety Video ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Pool Safety Song Video
- Kids’ Water Safety in the Bathroom and Pool
- Poster “Drowning is Silent” ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Center for Disease Control Safe Child Drowning Info
- My Safe Family Coloring Book
- Safe Sleep Coalition of Kern: Kern Medical, Adventist Health, Dignity Health, First 5 Kern, Kern Dept of Public Health, Kern County Human Services, Clinica Sierra Vista, CAPK, Kern County Network for Children, Love INC, and the Kern Literacy Council. Meets the second Friday, 10am, First 5 Kern, 2724 L Street, Bakersfield.
- Air Mattresses are NOT for Infants
- CDC Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Charlie’s Kids Foundation – Educating families about SIDS and Safe Sleep
- CPSC Cautions Caregivers about Hidden Hazards for Babies on Adult Beds | Spanish
- FAQs about Safe Sleep
- First 5 Kern downloadable flier
- Kern County Public Health downloadable flier (Eng./Span.)
- Top Tips for Baby Safety Month-English| Spanish
- Learn How to Put Your Baby to Sleep Safely
- Myths and Facts
- Playpens and Soft Bedding-Suffocation Risk-English| Spanish
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- Safe Sleep Environment Tool
- What does a Safe Sleep Environment Look Like?
- BabyCenter.com – From pregnancy through each age of development, pregnancy calendar and calculator (including ovulation), baby names, fetal development, food and recipes and more.
- Breastfeeding – Kern Breastfeeding Coalition Directory – Directory
- Car Safety – in and around the car
- Car Seat Safety and Local Check Sites
- Cerebral Palsy Group– Cerebral Palsy information, resources, and support. Cerebral Palsy Guide
- Child Development Resources – A continuously evolving list of selected websites providing health and safety tips and information applicable to child care settings.
- Child Health and Disability Prevention – CHDP services are for eligible low-income children from birth to 19 years and children on Medi-Cal from birth to 21 years. CHDP offers periodic preventive health assessments and services available to eligible children who appear well and also to children with existing health problems.
- Child-Proofing Your Home – Safety, Health & Consumer Council
- Developmental Milestones Matter – From birth to age five, a child should reach milestones in how they play, learn, speak, act and move. This site includes videos and quizzes to determine if a child is on track. Baby Steps VIDEO
- Energy Assistance Moderate Income Installations ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Energy Savings Assistance ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Kids Health – Infections; diseases and conditions; nutrition and fitness; pregnancy and baby; emotions and behavior; school and family life; first aid and safety; doctors and hospitals; recipes; and en Espanol.
- Medicine Doses – Study shows 1 in 12 mothers “regularly dosed children with sleep-inducing medication…”
- Moving – Helping children adjust.
- Nine-month financial plan for preparing for your baby
- Postpartum Depression – informational site
- Postpartum Support – You are not alone. One in seven women suffers from postpartum depression. Get help during; be aware; help for dads; training; tools and more.
- Racism Guidelines to“Using your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five
- Read Aloud 15 – Reading aloud is the “single most important activity” parents can do to prepare their child for reading and learning.
- Reading for Children Ages 5 and Under
- Reading is Fundamental – Booklists, games, activities, and apps.
- Songs – A full play list of all types of children’s songs.
- Smoking information sheet; 1-800-NO-BUTTS Tobacco Free; Tobacco Free Kids
- Special Needs children – parent resource site Wondermoms.org
- Umbilical Cord Blood – With over 80 diseases treated and new therapies discovered every year, your baby’s cord blood only becomes more valuable.
- Zero To Three – Information for parents; training and support for professionals and policymakers; early development and well-being; ages and stages; challenging behaviors; school readiness; temperament; trauma and stress; discipline; and more.
- NeedMeds List of Stores and Links to Discounts
- FamilyWize provides free discounts
- Target $4 and $10 Generic Prescriptions
- Walgreens Value Priced Medication ENGLISH | SPANISH
- WalMart $4 Perscriptions ENGLISH | SPANISH
To submit a request for your resource to be added to our Parent/Caregiver Resource Library, contact Kevin Bartl, Communications and Media Specialist.